~ Summer in Querétaro ~: Indigenous Peoples of Queretaro

Friday, August 6, 2010

Indigenous Peoples of Queretaro

In the US, most of our indigenous peoples are on reservations or casinos...or they've just become part of 'American' culture...In Querétaro, they just live in el centro, alongside everyone else. Only mostly in the streets. They walk around selling little things they make, like cell phone covers, tortilla wrappers...and just touristy stuff. Even the children walk around, trying to sell stickers or a piece of gum for one peso. The old women just stand on a corner somewhere with their hand out. It's pretty sad...I've never seen anyone buy anything from them, but I'm finding it hard to resist little girls asking me to buy a bracelet for 10 pesos, which is nothing to me.
It's pretty easy to tell which people are the indigenous ones. Most of them have a little bit darker skin, and they usually are wearing their traditional clothing. They also speak a language called Otomí. Most of them can speak Spanish too, but I've heard them speaking Otomí to their children. Many of the little children will walk up to someone and says ''dame'' (give me) while they're drinking a soda or eating ice cream. Don't get me wrong, they're very polite people...They're not very pushy at all. It only takes about two 'no's to get rid of a little girl selling stickers. But it makes me feel uncomfortable every time. :/

So obviously it would be a bit disrespectful to pull out my camera and snap a picture right in front of them. I took these pictures from across the street/plaza, with full zoom on. They didn't notice me. Sorry for being creepy :(

Here's a mom and her baby...I think that is probably her son and his friend, as the boy on the left is wearing a school uniform, which parents have to buy themselves.


A woman selling knitted cell phone covers:


I've seen this lady a lot. She just walks around aimlessly every day asking for money :(


So...yeah, that's about it. I probably won't try to take any more pictures of them. But if anyone wants souvenirs from Querétaro, I can buy you something from them! Although most of their stuff is useless... x.x


No comments:

Post a Comment